Thursday, January 15, 2009

Just need to rant for a moment

OK, does anyone else know about the lead free Consumer Act going into place on Feb 10th? Toys, clothing, anything market for children under 13 and made here in the US must be tested for lead. This means at the manufacturing level and on the second hand level-By ebay, thrift, & consignment stores! I found out about it by accident on craigslist, and it just shocked me that our government thought this was a great idea. By all means let's make it harder for families to buy inexpensive things for the children.

This is a article from a political talk show, but I think it nicely covers the common sense side of things. I emailed my congressperson, but since it has already been passed, the only thing I think people can do it make enough of a fuss that we can make get it interpreted better, or possibly junked. Bottom line, buy any second hand items before this law takes effect, because those store may go out of business next month.

Glenn Beck Link

But if you feel so inclined, read more and contact your congressperson too!

3 comments:

  1. I have a neighbor who makes and sells kids' clothes on ebay and she's been worried about this for weeks now. I just read that this law doesn't affect the selling of second hand goods, although consignment sellers are asked to please do their best to be sure they avoid any red-flag merchandise. The real question is how this is going to affect hand made things. I get what they're trying to do - and I appreciate the effort to keep my kids safe, although if my six year old was putting buttons in his mouth, I'd have a whole other bag of issues to deal with - but I think they should have taken more time with this law to be sure that they're handling it in the best, most reasonable way. It will likely make the cost of kids' clothes go up some, but it shouldn't go up THAT much I wouldn't think. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your concerns, Heather, but I think the article you linked to exaggerates the negative ramifications of the law without mnentioning its positive aspects. You can read the law for yourself at http://www.cpsc.gov/cpsia.Pdf. It deals specifically with items that use paint, as well as items made with phalates (sp?), not all products, at least as far as I could understand from the law. It also establishes a Consumer Safety website where people can go to check out individual products, etc. I'm sure the law isn't perfect, but I'm also fairly sure it isn't a mandate to crush toy- and clothes-makers, especially not in this economy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link. I will try and slog through the whole thing. Everything I had read about it indicated a huge impact for second hand markets for children, and that sounded really awful to me.

    ReplyDelete