Monday, May 5, 2008

Nature Channel

I know cats are natural born predators, but I am getting tired of my very active hunting cats right now. I miss the good old days when they missed more than they got! They are loving the spring. They have found bunnies, birds, mice, voles, lizards, and crawdads in the last few weeks. Some I have been able to rescue, and others sadly I have not. The other morning I woke up ready to toss the cats outside for chasing one another around the bedroom only to discover a bird flying around the room followed closely by the cats. Yeah! That will wake you up in a heartbeat! I was able to rescue that bird when it got it's claws (talon?) hooked in the fabric of my curtains. I picked it up thinking it was dead, but felt a very steady pulse. After a little struggle trying to figure out why I could not detach the bird, I turned it on the side and pulled it free from the fabric. When I got to the kitchen door and opened it, the bird shot out of my hands.

It would help cut down on the bird sightings in the house if the little darling had not decided that the bathroom vent would make an ideal nest site. We are now home to a small family of extremely noisy and hungry baby birds. I have never seen parents work as hard to keep babies feed as these birds have! It is amazing. And Loud!

Oh well. As soon as we can (when the babies leave), an eviction notice is going up and we are going to cover up the vent with some extra mesh as the flap just isn't doing much good.

I think it is time to buy a bell for each cat! Maybe that will slow them down if the birds hear them coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment