Thursday, November 8, 2012

Frustrating Homework

Sydney had a challenging homework assignment tonight that I felt I absolutely had to mock.  Let me preface my rant by saying that I am grateful my children now have actual textbooks that I can references for homework assignments, it is truly fantastic.

Tonight her homework had her reference a page in the book, and using the vocabulary words describe a picture on the page.  Normally I would be on board with that assignment and had it been tweaked to say, "Write a story using these vocab words, it would have been a dandy assignment."

Here is my response using all the vocab words. (Words are underlined as per homework instructions.)




I shivered in excitement when my daughter motioned me to look at her list of vocabulary words. I am not a gardener, but I was shocked that none of these words had anything to do with the flower in question. I slammed the book in sadness as I wondered how on Earth she was supposed to complete this assignment. Perhaps if it had asked for her to do something else with the word, like make up a story,  she wouldn't have struggled for so long with this assignment!

That said, the flower is a rose. “A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” To bad I can't smell anything in the book. It is small, pink, velvety, with ruffled edges. The flower appears to be in bloom. The leaves look pointy and it is covered in dew.

I printed it out and plan to send it in to the teacher.  I hope he responds:)

No comments:

Post a Comment