Monday, December 17, 2007

recent adventures

Well, as is the case for everyone the last two weeks before Christmas are always the busiest of the year. I have crafts & projects to finish and all sorts of other fun things going on. I wish I could send everyone a present this year, but money is in short supply this year, especially since Emily seems to think she is getting a pet tiger!! (Can you imagine explaining that to my UPS man? Yes, that growling inside the box is real. Don't worry she won't hurt you, unless she is hungry.) So please know that we love you all and wish you the very best for Christmas this year and we are thinking of you!

Emily will be a bit disappointed this year. We didn't get her a pet fox either! Our cats are doing a good enough job bringing the wild inside, and I am getting very good at catching mice. Sadly the mice don't often appreciate my efforts on their behalf. The cats don't like it either, but I think that because I warned them not to bring their toys in the house, we are even.

Sydney is doing her best to act like a lion, including growling and rolling around on the floor at preschool. Very charming. So glad that is is far enough into the year that she can't get booted out! We went on another field trip on Friday with the other special ed classes. It was lots of fun at the Dollar Store. Sydney really liked picking presents out for her sister and Dad, but didn't want to pick anything out for me. When she did finally agree to get something, she headed down the cleaning supply aisle to look for something. So I steered her in a better direction in the end. I also got a few other odds and ends as we had an hour to kill in the store. I think the other patrons were annoyed at there were 20 children and their chaperones/teachers in there that day. It would have helped matters if they had more than just the two cashiers though.

I forgot to mention Santa. Emily has been very excited to give Santa her list. Saturday we went to a work Christmas party just for kiddos. It was lots of fun. The girls made ornaments and popsicle stick picture frames and had the chance to sit on his lap (he rode in on a fire engine since there is no snow down here yet, in fact just the other day we all got to toss of our jackets & dig out the flip flops for a rare dose of summer) and get a present and your picture taken. My girls have never wanted to sit on his lap. He looks a little funny in person I guess. They don't mind him as an abstract theory, but not so much a fan on the personal level, but Sydney watched several kids get a gift and decided to give it a whirl. She sat on his lap and gave her best sweet innocent little girl smile and got her gift. She was thrilled. Emily wrote up her list (a fox in a box and a pet tiger) and waited her turn. Well, we let child after child go in front of us since her feet had magically turned into cement blocks once it was her turn. She curled into my side and insisted I give him the list. So I dutifully handed over the list, explaining that she was shy and the elves told Emily she had to get a picture taken so her wish list could be granted. But she finally agreed to pose for the picture by walking all the way around him on the other side of my body and we posed all three of us. She was as far away as she could get. Another Emily Hallmark moment. But since that is the very first time in her life that she and Santa have been in the same picture at all, I will take what I can get!

Well, I am off to get a few more things done before I need to pick up Sydney from school. Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment